SKAR seeks two new board members effective June 1, 2023
SKAR develops and rents workspace for artists, designers and creative entrepreneurs in Rotterdam. In a city that is developing and known as creative, the need for this type of workspace is great. In the past five years we have grown, doubling the number of locations under its management. Each of these are places that bring great value to both the city and the artists: we combine what is good for the artists with what is good for the city, and vice versa. We do this in close cooperation with the City of Rotterdam.
But we are not there yet. The availability of affordable workspace has come under severe pressure. Both due to scarcity and rising energy prices. SKAR therefore faces the task of continuing to grow in the coming years. Both in the number of places we can offer and in finding sustainable solutions so that artists/creatives can continue to work in Rotterdam and this city can continue to grow as a city for creative pioneers.
SKAR currently manages 43 studio buildings and incubators, both leased and owned. We consider our main partners to be the artists/creatives, the municipality, cultural organizations and real estate-related enterprises.
SKAR is a foundation that operates under the governance model. For our board we are looking for two new board members who preferably can bring knowledge related to contract or real estate law, philanthropy, financing or real estate sustainability.
What we ask of the new board member:
- You have an affinity with creative entrepreneurship and the art sector in particular;
- You endorse the goals of the foundation;
- on the basis of specific expertise you are able to provide the board and the director with substantive advice;
- you are able to assess the effectiveness of the organization of the foundation;
- you are, on the basis of knowledge and experience, capable of assessing policy and/or financial documents;
- you have no (business) interest in SKAR and its direct field of activity.
More specifically, we require:
- a board member with a background in law and affinity for contract or real estate law;
- a board member with a background in real estate sustainability and affinity for affordability for our target groups.
Furthermore, you preferably have:
- administrative or policy experience;
- a relevant network at the board level of one of the partners;
- experience in philanthropy and financing of cultural projects.
SKAR strives to increase diversity on its board and explicitly invites candidates who can contribute from other perspectives. It follows the Culture Governance Code 2019 and embraces the Diversity and Inclusion Code.
If you would like to know more or have any questions, please contact Mariëtte Maaskant, Program Leader Development at SKAR. Applications accompanied by curriculum vitae can be sent by e-mail to SKAR, Mariëtte Maaskant at firstname.lastname@example.org until January 15, 2023.
No later than two weeks after the closing date, we will let you know if you will be invited for an interview. Interviews will be held in the second week of February 2023.
The position formally begins June 1, 2023 and is unpaid. The scope of the position is approximately 25 hours on an annual basis (4-5 meetings with preparation time). For more information about SKAR, its current composition and board profile, visit the SKAR website: www.skar-ateliers.nl
Download PDF vacancy: SKAR Vacancy and profile of board members